expansion joints in steel pipes

Dear friends

I need to investigate on when it is necessary the
expansión joints in a steel pipes that it will be used
for transport water. The total longitude it is of 6800
meters including 4 siphons. and it has a diameter of
3.5 meters.

According to the theory the friction of the soil on
the tubing makes that the force produced by the change
of temperature in the tubing vanishes, but I think
that with the time this friction disappears and is
formed kind of a shirt around the tube and this could
be been deformed freely making that this varied in
their longitude and produces pressure in the changes
of address on the soil and if it could not stretch out
this freely it deformed outside of the plane.

I thank from already for the attention dedicated to
this topic.

Regards

Raul Marino