Rebar Grades

The AASHTO Manual For Condition Evaluation of Bridges, 1994 recommends the following in Section 6.6.2.3:

Unknown grade prior to 1954, Fy = 33 ksi
Unknown grade after 1954, Fy = 40 ksi

If you can find anything on the plans indicating Fs used for design, you can be pretty sure that if:

Fs = 18 ksi, Fy = 33 ksi
Fs = 20 ksi, Fy = 40 ksi
Fs = 24 ksi, Fy = 60 ksi

As for area of square bars, I have found nothing to use except a calculated value based on provided dimension.

Good Luck, Patrick Bachman, P.E.