Re: 1950 Rebar

In a message dated 3/16/2001 10:05:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hariharan.m(--nospam--at)eil.co.in writes:

know 40 ksi rebar has been around for a
> > long time but as grey as my hair is this is before my time.  I might add
> > that this structure is in amazingly good shape with little
deterioration.
> > Goodos for our fathers and grandfathers.

I would strongly suspect the amount of cover over the rebar in a marine
structure is part of the key towards the integrity as well as the better
aggregates available to our forefathers.  I coredrilled a structure that had
been immersed in seawater from 1924 to 1986,  and found it held 2500 psi,
rusted but largely intact rebar area,  and 3" cover.  Newer structures with
less than 3" cover did not fare as well.

Ron
Fremont, CA