RE: Top Rebar??

Tom,

The term top bar kind of went out of style in ACI 318 when the alpha factors
were introduced (Re: ACI 318-95 and 99 sect 12.2.4).  And you are correct in
the concept of the trapped air and water under the rebar.  The most recent
research for the alpha factors was done at the University of Texas and is
cited in the ACI 318.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague