Re: Weld Plates in Concrete

I have found that using a plate thickness 1 ½ times the required weld size to a maximum thickness of 3/4" works for most connections.  If these connections are supporting a moment I would suggest a plate of each side of the panel, interconnected to each other - the inside plate should be connected to a roof or floor framing member or a diagonal brace framing up to the underside of the framing above.

Good Luck

Neal Root, P.E.
Las Vegas, NV

>>> "Larry Hauer" <lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net> 03/19/01 06:53AM >>>
I am currently working on a concrete tilt-up building where I need to weld WF outriggers to embedded weld plates in the wall panels to support a canopy. Does anyone have any advice, experience, sources of information, etc. on whether the welding effects the structural integrity of the concrete and what precautions to take if it does?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Hauer S.E.