RE: Top Rebar??

Commentaries to ACI 318 prior to 1989 apparently noted that it was
questionable to apply the top bar factor to multiple layers of horizontal
bars in walls, but that discussion was dropped from the commentary in ACI
318-89. I don't know why. CRSI lap splice tables also used to have a
footnote stating that it may not apply to such bars, with a reference to the
318 commentary. Apparently it is not currently addressed and becomes a
"judgement" factor.