1950 Rebar

I have heard of using working stress design with a cap on allowable stress
in steel around 10 ksi in order to improve watertightness in structures
where watertightness was desired.  Seems to make some sense, you end up
with more steel, less cracks, and a perhaps a greater degree of overdesign
than with typical strength design.