RE: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections

>I still think it would hurt if a pallet full of TV's was launched off the
>top shelf of a 16 foot tall storage rack onto my head.
It can get a little dicier than that. I got involved in a document
storage warehouse where the racks collapsed progressively over 20-30
minutes after someone ran a forklift into one leg of one rack. One rack
tips into its neighbor, boxes start sliding, the bottom couple of layers
buckle backwards and hits the rack on the other side. Boxes slide and
fall more racks start tipping into each other, and every single 15-20
foot high rack in the area went down. This was in Minnesota with no
seismic requirements, so no requirements to tie the tops to each other or
anything else. Simple good sense dictates doing so, but you know the
if-the-code-doesn't-make-us-use-our-brains-the-hell-with-it approach. For
a while afterwards, there was still some question about whether anyone
was buried in it all. Took a while to get down to the forklift that
started it all.

You never saw such a mess. The floor was 8-10 feet deep in boxes of
documents strewn in and around the ruins of the shelving. Climbing around
the stuff during the investigation was almost surreal. By luck none of
the supporting columns was damaged so the roof stayed put. The crew that
was working there didn't have wit enough to get out quick--fascinated by
the domino stack going down I guess.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw