Re: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections - wind frame analysis in high seismic zones

----- Original Message -----
From: "Haan, Scott M." <HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 12:33 PM
Subject: RE: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections -
wind frame analysis in high seismic zones

> I still think it would hurt if a pallet full of TV's was launched off the
> top shelf of a 16 foot tall storage rack onto my head. It has been a while
> since I had physics but I have a pretty good gut feeling for this one.  I
> see the potential for people being masscred by flying consumer goods
whether
> the racks are designed according to the code or not.

You have identified the main point, the pallet of TV's will fly off and land
on you regardless of the method of design for the rack.  The necessary
requirements to limit the type of damage you refer to would be in restraint
systems for the stored goods.  We can design the racks as rigorously as the
space shuttle, but the unattached crates and boxes will still fly off the
shelves.

I was in an autoglass distribution warehouse in the aftermath of the
Whittier EQ.  The racks were in excellent condition, not a single failure,
but the floor was still three feet deep in broken glass because of the lack
of a restraint system to keep the glass on the racks.

Paul Feather