RE: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections - wind frame analysis in high seismic zones

Hi Harold

If they remove a rack and try to reinstall it. This will constitute a new
permit as if it will considered as a new installation. At that time they
have to bring the racks to meet today's code  and it shall be inspected
accordingly.

Code sections 103.1 of Palmdale code indicates:

It shall be unlawful for a person to erect construct enlarge , Alter, or
repair, move , improve , connect , convert, demolish . equip or perform any
other work on any building or structure or portion thereof or perform
grading in the city of Palmdale or cause the same to be done contrary to or
in violation of any provision of this code"

Again Palmdale municipal code under section 106.3 indicates:

No person shall own , use occupy or maintain any "un permitted structure".
For the purpose of this code the un permitted structure shall be defined as
an structure , or portion thereof , that was connected converted, demolished
or equipped at any point in time without requiring permit(s) having first
been obtained from the building official pursuant to section 106.1

Also section 3401 contains language in the same manner.

So in answer to your first question , if they remove the racks that were
existing non complying they will need to obtain a permit to reinstall and in
the process they should meet today's code by up grading the structure.

Second question was the phone number for Mr. Sal Fateen . It is
1909 869 0989 he is in the City of Pomona CA. I called him and left him a
message that you will contact him.

Third question:
City of Palmdale is currently under the 1998 CA code as was adopted by the
state building standards commission. So as you know section 2222.5 of this
code requires signing at the racks.  This load is the Max permissible unit
load.
On the final issue all cities in California must follow the state building
standards recommendation. I agree with you that it is excellent to have
uniformity of the IBC , but the reality is that we in California may stay on
the 1998 CA code for 3 more years. That decision comes from the state level
and cities follow the state by preemptive laws in the state.

I sincerely hope that your excellent effort will bear fruit and everything
will fit into place for the 2003 cycle of the BSSC.

structure