RE: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections - wind frame analysis in high seismic zones

Harold,

That's still about 3 times the drift measured experimentally at full UBC
design levels. I do not know of any installation (and certainly none of
mine except perhaps by accident) which satisfy this criterion. Where did it
come from?

And if Scott Haan is reading this, what do you think of this drift (which
would correspond to a period of around 6-8 seconds in a typical rack)?

Great fun, but it would be nice if someone consulted mother nature before
writing the code. Drifts are well known. It baffles me as to how such a
criterion came into being.

Peter Higgins, SE

>Peter,

That is not a drift limit.  It just says the installation must accommodate
that amount of displacement.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague
<