From: Mark Pemberton [mailto:Markp(--nospam--at)lbdg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 7:56 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: FW: seismic at retaining wall

I got no response from this so I'm resending.  I'm
sure others have been faced with this...

How would you analyze a retaining wall that extends
to form a 10 foot high masonry fence for seismic forces?
With a parking lot at the retained side, would the surcharge
load need to be included?  What weight would you
use for the seismic mass? (Fence portion or the wall
in its entirety?)  It seems there are several ways
to look at it and all yield somewhat different results.

Mark Pemberton, P.E..