RE: seismic at retaining wall

Sounds like a problem on my PE exam except there was a hurricane blowing on
the wall.

Braja M. Das "Principle of Foundation Engineering 2nd ed." chapter 5.11 and
5.12 has formulas for determining seismic active and passive pressure if the
soil internal angle of friction and seismic acceleration are known.

Surcharge should be included additional pressure that is multiplied by the
earth pressure coefficients.

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://muni.org/building,