RE: Shotcrete

I don't have any references for you; however, I do have some experience with
similar situations.  I think you need to look at the overall picture.

Is the cover really needed? No.

What is the negative effects if the cover is installed? Additional deadload
and project cost/time not to mention deteriorated client relations.

What are the benefits? Corrosion protection and possible aesthetics.

What are the alternatives? Do nothing; spray coat a epoxy coating to provide
the corrosion protection; plaster and paint.

The aforementioned is merely my perspective, some times you need to look at
projects from different ones.