Re: Perforated Shearwall Adjustment Factor reference

Thanks for the response.

For most large openings, the IBC table 2305.3.7.2 allows more than twice the
capacity that the equation allows.

The equation could have a value near to that of the IBC table if the equation
assumed a shear that is for the wall length, not the sum of the piers. The
equation would have to have a much smaller factor. To adjust for that possible
assumption, the equation would then be.

 F=  F*(L/sum(Li))  =  (L/sum(Li))*r/[3-2*r]
where as before r = 1/[1+[Ao/(H*sum(Li)]]

Can anyone verify this?
Could someone mistake the IBC shear to be factored as the force divided by the
length of the wall? Probably not, because results would greatly defy the laws
of physics.

David Merrick, SE
mrkgp(--nospam--at)pacbell.net