RE: storage racks with partially restrained moment connections - wind frame analysis in high seismic zones

With all due respect to Mr. Azzi, he's wrong, and should not be speaking
for the RMI technical committee which is chaired by Dan Clapp.

Mr. Clapp definitely knows better. I recommend you consult with him
directly and revise your drift limits. No installation in my experience
satisfies this drift limit, including my own, where I am one of the more
stringent "separatists".

I suspect he took shaker table measurements and then multiplied these by
omega. They already were ultimate drifts. Hence the huge discrepancy.

Peter Higgins, SE

>Peter,

Again this is not a drift limit.  This is the amount of drift that you have
to allow for.  If it were a building it is the omega sub zero times the
calculated drift, and is more to address pounding effects.  It was
promulgated by the RMI representative Victor Azzi.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague
<