Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 7:22 AM
Subject: RE: PowerPoint presentation

I have to put on a presentation to a group of teachers.  Subject is "Math and Science in Architecture."  My plan is to illustrate the various types of load carrying members, exhibit some math, maybe even simple span shear and moment diagram.  I've got plenty of building pictures, but I don't know how to do PowerPoint slides of things like AutoCAD drawings, etc.  Or is there an easier way to do graphics?

__________________
John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com

John,

You can windows around the autocad drawing and hit “control-c” to copy it, then hit “control-v” in powerpoint to paste it.  Its not as easy as it sounds:

  1. The pasted graphic will appear exactly as it is in autocad (background and all).  One way to circumvent this is to either set your display to monochrome or turn the background color white and everything else black.
  2. The pasted graphic will appear the same size as it appears on your monitor.  This is the time-consuming part.  You may have to zoom in/out and cut/paste several times before getting the right appearance.  You can drag the graphic boundaries in powerpoint to scale it, but the resolution usually suffers.

You can also export your drawings as a *.wmf and then import them into powerpoint, but you have the same issues.  The only advantage of that procedure is that you have reusable graphics.  If you have a scanner available you could print the drawing, scan it, and insert it as a *.jpg or *.tif file.  The *.tif files are easier to work with, but use more memory.

Good luck,

Jack Creviston