Concrete: Shrinkage limit of .048?

Here is one reference that I found.  Caltrans Standard Specification:
90-2.01 Portland Cement

"Mortar, containing the portland cement to be used and Ottawa sand, when
tested in conformance with the requirements in California Test 527, shall
not expand in water more than 0.010 percent and shall not contract in air
more than 0.048 percent except that when portand cement is to be used for
precast prestressed concrete piling, precast prestressed concrete members
or steam cure concrete product, the mortar shall not contract in air more
than 0.053 percent."

Better watch out that I did not make any typos.  The full specification
should be available for download at
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/specs_html/index.html

Stan Johnson