From: Michael Zaitz [mailto:mzaitz(--nospam--at)hgbd.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 1:21 PM
To: Structural Engineers Association
Subject: W8 Reinforcement

Hello all;

I have a W8 x 24 that is intended to carry a 10" water line for fire
protection.  The problem is the beam is spanning 60 feet!  After hearing
this from the contractor I told him there was no chance that the beam
would work (he called me as the Fire Protection contractor was about to
start hanging the pipe).  What I am trying to do is determine how it can
be reinforced (not necessarily in place) to support the load.  The
building is a Metal Building and the top flange of the beam will not be
braced.  Any ideas?

TIA

Mike