RE: Power Point presentation

From: Jack Creviston <jcreviston(--nospam--at)tlf-engineers.com>
To: "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: PowerPoint presentation
John:
	Sorry about the tardiness of the response, but there is a way to
import a drawing as a .dxf file.  This allows you to change the colors of
the lines, thicknesses, etc. using powerpoint's drawing tools.  You need to
download an add-in from micorsoft's website to allow powerpoint to be able
to insert the .dxf files as pictures.  Also, the .dxf file needs to be
created from an AutoCad v. 12 file.  Hope this helps.

Thomas P. Murphy, Ph.D., P.E.
Structural Engineer
Modjeski & Masters, Inc.
Mechanicsburg, PA

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0B2D3.19074B00

I have to put on a presentation to a group of teachers.  Subject is "Math
and Science in Architecture."  My plan is to illustrate the various types of
load carrying members, exhibit some math, maybe even simple span shear and
moment diagram.  I've got plenty of building pictures, but I don't know how
to do PowerPoint slides of things like AutoCAD drawings, etc.  Or is there
an easier way to do graphics?
__________________
John P. Riley, PE, SE
Riley Engineering
20 Oakwood Drive, Blue Grass, Iowa 52726
Tel & Fax:  319-381-3949
jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com <mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com>

John,

You can windows around the autocad drawing and hit "control-c" to copy it,
then hit "control-v" in powerpoint to paste it.  Its not as easy as it
sounds:
1.	The pasted graphic will appear exactly as it is in autocad
(background and all).  One way to circumvent this is to either set your
display to monochrome or turn the background color white and everything else
black.
2.	The pasted graphic will appear the same size as it appears on your
monitor.  This is the time-consuming part.  You may have to zoom in/out and
cut/paste several times before getting the right appearance.  You can drag
the graphic boundaries in powerpoint to scale it, but the resolution usually
suffers.

You can also export your drawings as a *.wmf and then import them into
powerpoint, but you have the same issues.  The only advantage of that
procedure is that you have reusable graphics.  If you have a scanner
available you could print the drawing, scan it, and insert it as a *.jpg or
*.tif file.  The *.tif files are easier to work with, but use more memory.

Good luck,
Jack Creviston