RE: Wage Busting

Mr. Fisher,
First, I find it offensive that each time I read your remarks, I am prompted
to send you a confirmation that I have read your remarks - please remove the
receipt function from your post.
Second, you seem to miss the point as you criticize any American seeking
employment who enters your door expecting opportunity. You seem to think
that the opportunity to work on a Caribbean project is the same as offering
the employee incentive that includes a Caribbean vacation. While I live in
the Palm Springs area, I would not consider my working experience as a
vacation - possibly one reason why I, like many of the locals, are pale by
comparison to the "Snowbirds" that come to visit.
The issues are not about your salary, but your attitude. Do your
advertisements include statements such as - Decent Salary, No Advancement?
They should as your attitude is one that seeks employees and considers "Your
Firm" your accomplishment. My point is while you opened the firm, your
success depends upon the creativeness and competency of your employee's -
something that should be rewarded with opportunities for advancement. You
will never find a loyal employee who does not aspire to either share in the
profits of the business or to have the opportunity for advancement into a
partnership position.
While I give you credit for starting your own firm, I take away points for
arrogance and greed.
Your final comment in your third post indicates your failure to understand
the H-1B provisions and this, in the strictest sense, violates the intent of
the H-1B law. You state "Finally, after all the training and money I have
invested in my H1-B visa
engineer from Germany, I sincerely HOPE he wants to obtain his green card
and become a
permant employee!!
What he wants and what the H-1B program intend are two different goals. H-1B
is not intended to be a "stepping stone" for entering the United States with
the anticipation of becomming a Green Card holder. This is one of the
greatest arguments within the professional community as the law strictly
limits the length of time the H-1B visa is issued for. In fact, the law
limits the terms of employment for the Visa holder. If he leaves your firm,
he can not simply seek another employer, he must reapply for a new H-1B visa
and have an employer already available to sponsor him. In other words,
should you at any time become dissatisfied with your H-1B employee, you have
the power to send him immediately out of the country - not an incentive for
employment in my opinion.
While your pay scale is not at issue in this argument, your arrogance and
disdain of American employees certainly is. This may be the reason why your
advertisement for qualified help has provided no responses or no applicants.
Most of those I know in the professional community would not work for you.
Instead, you hire a professional from another country knowing that at your
whim, you can expel him from the United States. While I don't believe "Most"
employers think about the power they have over their employees, your
comments imply that you consider your employee to be your indentured slave
and the termination of his employment is both a means to subjugate him and
to prevent him from becoming overly ambitious.
BTW, you aren't investing in an H-1B employee, you are paying a fair wage
for a fair job done. If you choose to train, you are expected to do so
understanding the limitation of the H-1B program and should not expect more
than a 6-year maximum employment period. If you choose to help him obtain a
green card, you justify every complaint made about the H-1b program and,
incidentally, the criticism stated against you.
Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
self-employed