Re: W8 Reinforcement

Additional information:  The W8 is existing.  It was put into place last
week at the direction of the Metal Building Engineer.  The pipe runs
parallel with the beam and will be hung from the bottom flange of the
beam or whatever I reinforce/replace it with.  The purlins are actually
steel joists, however when we questioned if we could hang from the
joists we were told no (the joists were to be designed for a 15 psf
collateral load).  Regarding allowable deflection I am aiming for L/240
as the pipe hangers will allow adjustment to keep the pipe level.  I
have have discussed with the contractor the welding of additonal steel
to the beam, but have not asked what clearance I have above the beam.
Below the beam is not a problem for clearance.