Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
I am not sure about the balance of Europe, but in the US PE is sometimes
written as Registered Engineer, Registered Professional Engineer, or
Registered Civil Engineer below the persons name:

i.e.    John Smith
         Registered Engineer


John Smith
Professional Engineer

I am reasonably sure this would translate as understandable in England and
Canada, as well as the US, though we are all separated by a common language.
I frequently encounter members of the public in the US who have no idea what
PE stands for.

Paul Feather PE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jelena Bleiziffer" <jelena(--nospam--at)>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

> The thing is, I am writing a brochure where I need to state that several
> colleagues are P.E.'s. But, the brochure should be in English but it is
> intended for US only, but also for England, Canada, Germany, Italy etc.
> Therefore, what I am actually asking is whether a term Certified Civil
> Engineer or P.E. would be understandable to everyone or if someone will
> laugh me out loud.
> Jelena Bleiziffer
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <sscholl2(--nospam--at)>
> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)>
> Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 4:49 PM
> Subject: Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer
> > I guess that "certified engineer" is the same as P.E., although we don't
> > use the term "certified engineer".
> >
> > We write: John Smith, P.E.  and if a PhD, we might add that also. Also
> > a licensed Land Surveyor, we would add L.S. and if a licensed structural
> > engineer (a separate license) we would add S.E. after P.E.
> > We might also add FASCE for Fellow in the American Society of Civil
> > Engineers.
> >
> > Stan Scholl, P.E., FASCE
> > Laguna Beach, CA
> >
> >