Post-tensioned Slab on ground

I am in process of checking a post tensioned on ground. The design engineer
is in opinion that the requirement of section 1918 (97 UBC), specifically,
section 1918.14.2, "Tendon cover shall be continuous over entire length to
be unbounded, and prevent intrusion of cement paste or loss of coating
materials during concrete placement."

The design engineer, feels "Design and construction of Post-Tensioned
Slabs-on-Ground" Manual by the Post-Tensioned Institute should be used.

My point is that since state did not adopted  this manual , therefore, the
UBC sec. 1918 does governs and can not accept less restricted requirement.

Is there any other opinion out-there?

Hadi Tabatabaee, P.E.
Building Official
City of Fullerton (hadit(--nospam--at)ci.fullerton.ca.us)