Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

> From: "Jelena Bleiziffer" <jelena(--nospam--at)bleiziffer.hr>

> The thing is, I am writing a brochure where I need to state that several
> colleagues are P.E.'s. But, the brochure should be in English but it is not
> intended for US only, but also for England, Canada, Germany, Italy etc.
> Therefore, what I am actually asking is whether a term Certified Civil
> Engineer or P.E. would be understandable to everyone or if someone will
> laugh me out loud.

Depending on the nature of the brochure you may want to take different
approaches. Do not attmept to use a one size for all
licensure/registration TITLE.

To a very informed consumer qualify the license and jurisdiction;
John Doe, C.Eng/M.I.C.E.(UK), P.E.(Texas, USA), P.Eng.(Ontario, Canada)

For a general brochure, simply state that, "our engineering staff
comprises individuals who may legally practice the engineering
profession in the following jurisdictions: UK; Texas, Oklahoma, New
York, USA; Ontario, Manitoba, Canada; ..." or possibly "most states and
provinces in the USA and Canada"

Engineers can get into trouble over their promotional literature, in
some jurisdictions, if it is seen to be misrepresentational.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International