Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
> From: "Jelena Bleiziffer" <jelena(--nospam--at)>

> The thing is, I am writing a brochure where I need to state that several
> colleagues are P.E.'s. But, the brochure should be in English but it is not
> intended for US only, but also for England, Canada, Germany, Italy etc.
> Therefore, what I am actually asking is whether a term Certified Civil
> Engineer or P.E. would be understandable to everyone or if someone will
> laugh me out loud.

Depending on the nature of the brochure you may want to take different
approaches. Do not attmept to use a one size for all
licensure/registration TITLE.

To a very informed consumer qualify the license and jurisdiction;
John Doe, C.Eng/M.I.C.E.(UK), P.E.(Texas, USA), P.Eng.(Ontario, Canada)

For a general brochure, simply state that, "our engineering staff
comprises individuals who may legally practice the engineering
profession in the following jurisdictions: UK; Texas, Oklahoma, New
York, USA; Ontario, Manitoba, Canada; ..." or possibly "most states and
provinces in the USA and Canada"

Engineers can get into trouble over their promotional literature, in
some jurisdictions, if it is seen to be misrepresentational.

Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:ad026(--nospam--at)> <>