Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
> "[Section] 6732. Use of seal, stamp or title by unregistered person.  It
> unlawful for anyone other than a professional engineer registered licensed
> under this chapter to ... in any manner, use the title "professional
> engineer," "licensed engineer," "registered engineer," or "consulting
> engineer," or any of the following branch titles: "agricultural engineer,"
> "chemical engineer," "civil engineer," "control system engineer,"
> "electrical engineer," "fire protection engineer," "industrial engineer,"
> "manufacturing engineer," "mechanical engineer," "metallurgical engineer,"
> "nuclear engineer," "petroleum engineer," or "traffic engineer," or any
> combination of such ... words and phrases or abbreviations thereof unless
> licensed under this chapter."

That's pretty restrictive.  This email has "P.E." after my name below, and
is being distributed all over the world.  Does this mean that I am in
violation of the local regulations of the 49 states in which I am not
registered if they have similar language in the registration laws?

What if someone in California asks a question on this email list and I
answer it.  Could that be considered offering engineering services?  Could I
be fined/go to jail?

What if a P.E. registered in Oregon gives a speech at a California location.
Is he not allowed to have the title "P.E." after his name advertising the
speech?  What if the speech is in Oregon, but is advertised nationwide,
including in California?

I know I'm being extreme here, but laws that everyone breaks and enforcement
"varies widely" based upon the whim of the enforcing agency are a personal
pet peeve of mine.  Either the enforcement should be complete and without
prejudice, or the law should be changed.

In my humble (and possibly wrong) opinion, once I achieved the status of
Professional Engineer, I have the right to put P.E. after my name.  If I'm
currently standing in Missouri, or California, or Hawaii, I'm still a P.E.
I do *not*, however, have the right to advertise or offer engineering
services unless I'm registered in that state or country.  I could not
legally open "Kilgore Konsulting, Inc." in downtown L.A. without first
obtaining a CA license.

My point is, the people on the brochure in question *are* engineers in their
respective locations, and have the right to claim their proper title.

Jason W. Kilgore, P.E.
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
(816) 444-3144