Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

I'm with Jason here.

My card reads essentially the same as my signature on this e-mail.

I plan to go to meetings in Texas, and Chicago this year.  I'm not licensed
in either Texas or Illinois.  I will exchange cards to those I meet there.

I am not offering engineering in either state, but I am an engineer, and
I'd be lying to represent myself otherwise.

My card clearly shows my address in Florida.  It doesn't show the other
states where I'm licensed.  I have no problem passing out my card (and
offering engineering) to a potential client in Alabama, however, since I'm
licensed there.

The problem with the quoted section ('looks like something from California)
is that it's "unprofessional".

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Structural Engineer
1724 Beaver Pond Rd.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561
   Phone 850-932-5547
   Fax      850-934-1916

----------
> From: Paul Crocker <paulc(--nospam--at)ckcps.com>
> To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
> Subject: RE: P.E. vs certified civil engineer
> Date: Monday, March 26, 2001 12:52 PM
>
> Believe it or not, I have heard of an engineer being scolding for such a
> thing, although I have never heard of anyone being sent to jail or even
> fined,
>
> Paul Crocker, P.E. (WA)

It
> is
> > unlawful for anyone other than a professional engineer registered
licensed
> > under this chapter to ... in any manner, use the title "professional
> > engineer," "licensed engineer," "registered engineer," or "consulting
> > engineer," or any of the following branch titles: "agricultural
engineer,"
> > "chemical engineer," "civil engineer," "control system engineer,"
> > "electrical engineer," "fire protection engineer," "industrial
engineer,"
> > "manufacturing engineer," "mechanical engineer," "metallurgical
engineer,"
> > "nuclear engineer," "petroleum engineer," or "traffic engineer," or any
> > combination of such ... words and phrases or abbreviations thereof
unless
> > licensed under this chapter."
>
> That's pretty restrictive.  This email has "P.E." after my name below,
and
> is being distributed all over the world.  Does this mean that I am in
> violation of the local regulations of the 49 states in which I am not
> registered if they have similar language in the registration laws?
>

> In my humble (and possibly wrong) opinion, once I achieved the status of
> Professional Engineer, I have the right to put P.E. after my name.  If
I'm
> currently standing in Missouri, or California, or Hawaii, I'm still a
P.E.