QUERY: Protective Coatings for Concrete Structures

Okay, I need some opinions.

I've got an old (ca. 1964) "folded plate" concrete structure, not
posttensioned, just formed, reinforced with mild steel and poured in place.
The thing is a pavilion at a city park, circular in plan, with this weird
"scalloped" roof that varies between about 6" thick at the radially-placed
bents to about 3-1/2" at the midpoint between the bents.

It looks like it did have some sort of "rubberized" coating system applied
at one time, but that has just about gone away, at least on the top surface.
There are some leaks beginning to form, some spalls on the underside. I
think the thing needs to be cleaned up (get all the old coating junk off of
it) and recoated, but I'm not sure what sort of system would be appropriate.

Do any of you have experience with weather-proofing of large concrete
surfaces of this type? Any pointers in that direction would be most
appreciated.

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas