RE: QUERY: Protective Coatings for Concr

I would like to preface this by saying that I know nothing about STIRLING
LLOYD or their product, "Eliminator," so these comments do not specifically
refer to that product.

Be *very cautious* about any spray-on/liquid product that is touted as a
waterproofing agent.  Make sure that such a product *does not* contain
calcium chloride or deleterious amounts of the chloride ion.

Thirty to thirty-five years ago a liquid waterproofing agent was specified by
name for use in the Phoenix Plaza underground parking garage.  Serious
distress resulted which caused the demise of one competent structural
engineering firm and seriously affected the health of a prominent
architectural firm.  The product was touted as a waterproofing agent, however
the active ingredient in the product was, and still is, calcium chloride.
That same product was recently mentioned in EN-R (12/4/2000) as being used in
the P/S TTs that collapsed at the Charlotte (NC) Raceway.  The same scenario
occurred in both instances:  the product was touted as a waterproofing agent;
no mention was made of it containing calcium chloride.

I would suggest that if any liquid waterproofing agent is being considered,
that you should get a chemical analysis of that agent and study it
carefully.  I would also suggest that a specific statement from the
manufacturer be obtained, signed in the original by a responsible executive,
stating that the product does not contain calcium chloride or deleterious
amounts of the chloride ion, or any other chemical which will cause corrosion
of reinforcing steel.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gary Dinsmore wrote:

STIRLING LLOYD produces a great spray-on waterproofing membrane for bridge
deck called "Eliminator".  I'm not sure if this is good for your application
but it sounds like its in the same vain.  If you want to talk to a rep., the
number is 203-230-9448.