RE: QUERY: Protective Coatings for Concrete Structures

Bill,

Cementitous products in general are superior for many applications unless
you have active cracks.  Most concrete structures that have problems have
active cracks.  If you seal them up they open up either at the same location
or close by.  Flexible sealants are the appropriate sealant for active
cracks.  Flexible sealants will need to be replaced at some time in the
future.  The polyurethanes appear to have long life, UV resistance, good
elastomeric properties, and good bonding properties if installed correctly.

Inspect the application, test the bond to the substrate by cutting out
sections of sealant.  Get a good fall protection harness, and inspect the
hard to get at places more thoroughly.  I have had to have entire 22 story
buildings totally redone.  It almost bankrupted the contractor, but the job
was done correctly.

In the US we don't take the proper design steps to accommodate thermal
cracking.  I was very impressed by the details and jointing that appears to
be the German practice for cast in place concrete.

There are many good resources for repair of concrete.  Some of the superior
vendors are Sika and Fosroc.  I am moving my office to another floor or I
would have more references for you.  In the mean time check out the
following sites for repair materials:
http://www.fosroc.com/products/index.htm
http://www.masterbuilders.com/
http://www.sikacanada.com/eng/index.html
The repair materials data base at:
http://www.wes.army.mil/REMR/remr.html
http://www.cisti.nrc.ca/irc/library/pf10.html

I would also recommend the book Chrest, Anthony P.; Mary S. Smith and Sam
Bhuyan. Parking structures: planning, design, construction, maintenance, and
repair. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
And their employer:
http://www.walkerparking.com/site/home.html

For coatings don't use the epoxies unless they are stabilized for UV.  I
would be inclined to go with a poyurethane.  You also need to have a high
perm rate to allow water vapor out of the substrate:
http://www.concrete-coatings.com/products.html
http://www.concretecoatingsinc.com/
http://www.edisoncoatings.com/
http://www.tnemec.com/
http://www.roancorp.com/keylinksmfgs/waterproofing.html

This is what was done on Deer Island in Boston:
http://www.bayerus.com/new/1999/10.15.99b.html

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague