Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

> > Does this mean that I am in
> > violation of the local regulations of the 49 states in which I am not
> > registered if they have similar language in the registration laws?
>
> No, unless you are holding yourself out as available to do business in any
> of those states.
>
> You ARE a "P.E." because you fulfilled the requirements for licensure in
> your state. However, if you were to try to say "I'm a P.E. and ready to
work
> on your job in Arkansas", that would be a violation of the licensure law
in
> that state.

This was exactly my understanding of the proper use of an engineering title.

However, the tone of several posts and the California statue someone posted
decidedly implied that I cannot use the title "P.E." after my name in CA
unless I am specifically registered in CA.

Let's bring up another fuzzy issue.  Let's say that my firm is interviewing
for a job in Texas (I believe that the Texas registration board is trying to
adopt similar restrictive legislation?).  My boss is registered in Texas,
and will be EOR.  My name is also submitted as someone who will work under
his direct supervision on the project.  I am NOT registered in Texas.

Can I or can I not include my title as P.E. as part of my resume?  The
resume would include information to indicate which states I am registered,
and I will not be EOR.  But the letter of the law says that I cannot use the
title Professional Engineer, especially since this is part of "advertising
for engineering services".

To mix it up even more, suppose an employee in a competing firm in Texas is
a member of the registration board.  If he happens to see my resume with
"P.E." and no Texas registration, this can cause my firm to loose the
interview, and possibly get my boss in trouble.

Any comments on this?  Anybody out there on the registration boards of state
with similar language in the laws?  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm
just trying to figure out how this particular law works.

----
Jason W. Kilgore, P.E. (MO)
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com