Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Kilgore" <jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: P.E. vs certified civil engineer

> > No, unless you are holding yourself out as available to do business in
any
> > of those states.
> >
> > You ARE a "P.E." because you fulfilled the requirements for licensure in
> > your state. However, if you were to try to say "I'm a P.E. and ready to
> > work on your job in Arkansas", that would be a violation of the
licensure
> > law in that state.

I agree totally

> Let's bring up another fuzzy issue.  Let's say that my firm is
interviewing
> for a job in Texas (I believe that the Texas registration board is trying
> adopt similar restrictive legislation?).  My boss is registered in Texas,
> and will be EOR.  My name is also submitted as someone who will work under
> his direct supervision on the project.  I am NOT registered in Texas.
>
> Can I or can I not include my title as P.E. as part of my resume?  The
> resume would include information to indicate which states I am registered,
> and I will not be EOR.  But the letter of the law says that I cannot use
the
> title Professional Engineer, especially since this is part of "advertising
> for engineering services".

Yes, you can for the reason noted above.  Texas law Section 20. EXEMPTIONS,
§20(b)(c) "An employee or a subordinate of a person holding  a certification
of registration under this Act, .......; provided, his practice does not
include responsible charge of design or supervision.

> To mix it up even more, suppose an employee in a competing firm in Texas
is
> a member of the registration board.  If he happens to see my resume with
> "P.E." and no Texas registration, this can cause my firm to loose the
> interview, and possibly get my boss in trouble.

To do this would be unethical, in my opinion, and open the competing firm to
charges.  The Texas law really gets into the ethics of professional
practice.  The reason I'm aware of this is that I'm currently preparing my
application for registration in Texas & you have to submit the answers to a
rather intense test covering the law & ethics.

Scott A. Dunham, PE (various)
Dunham Engineering Services