GUIDELINE FOR EUROPEAN TECHNICAL APPROVAL OF METAL ANCHORS FOR US E IN CONCRETE (ETAG 001) - CURRENT STATUS

It has come to my attention that a discussion of the current status of the
ETAG 001 has been taking place on this list and elsewhere. I would like to
offer the following clarifications to this discussion:

1.	The Guideline for European Technical Approval of Metal Anchors For
Use in Concrete (ETAG 001) for expansion and undercut anchors was adopted in
1997 by all European approval institutions as well as the European
Commission. At present 26 European Technical Approvals (ETAs) for metal
anchors have been issued by the 5 European approval instituions for 11
manfacturers in 7 European countries. Several more are currently in review,
so you can see that this process is alive and well. (For further information
see www.info(--nospam--at)eota.be <http://www.info(--nospam--at)eota.be/> )

2.	Regarding the use of anchors in cracked concrete, ETAG 001
establishes two categories of use for metal anchors: 1) anchors to be used
in cracked or uncracked concrete, and 2) anchors to be used in uncracked
concrete only. It is my understanding that a similar approach has been
adopted by ACI.

3.	Contrary to assertions made recently, it is not true that "...The
European Commission has determined that the new code [ETAG 001] does not
meet the basic critcria of the Construction Products Directive...". ETAG 001
was developed with the participation of manufacturers of anchors and
structural engineers in accordance with a mandate and a work program
endorsed by the European Commission. ETAG 001 fulfils the mandate and the
work program and meets all of the criteria of the Construction Products
Directive.

4.	It is also not true that the Commission directed the EOTA (European
Organization for Technical Approvals) to perform a substantive revision of
the ETAG. There will be no revision of the ETAG 001 for expansion and
undercut anchors (Parts 1 through 4). ETAG 001 Part 5 for Bonded Anchors was
accepted by the Working Group and is now being balloted by the appropriate
institutions. Final approval is expected this year. In accordance with the
1996 mandate of the European Commission, a Part 6 will be added to the ETAG
001 to cover the case of metal anchors in redundant applications (i.e.,
facade anchorage, pipe supports, suspended ceilings, etc.).

In conclusion, I would like to extend an invitation to the participants of
this list to learn more about the EOTA and the process for regulating
building products in Europe. In this regard, I would be happy to answer
questions and participate in a mutual exchange of information (via the eMail
address provided below).

Sincerely,

Klaus Laternser
Convenor of EOTA working Groups - Anchors
German Institut for Construction Technology (Deutsches Institut für
Bautechnik)
Berlin, Germany
Tel. +49 30 78730-257
Fax +49 30 78730-414
eMail: klt(--nospam--at)dibt.de <mailto:klt(--nospam--at)dibt.de>

Dipl.-Ing. Andreas Kummerow
Deutsches Institut für Bautechnik (DIBt)
Kolonnenstrasse 30 L - 10 829 Berlin - Deutschland
phone: +49 (30) 78730266; fax: +49 (30) 7873011266
mailto:aku(--nospam--at)dibt.de <mailto:aku(--nospam--at)dibt.de>
http://www.dibt.de <http://www.dibt.de/>