Old Steel Section Properties

Kipp,

>From AISC manual, 5th Edition, 1956:

ST4WF10 is a 4" (nominal) deep Tee @ 10#/ft

      A     =     2.94 in^2
      d     =     4.07 in
      b(f)  =     5.268 in
      t(f)  =     0.378 in
      t(s)  =     0.248 in    (thickness of stem)
      I(x)  =     3.66 in^4
      S(x)  =     1.13 in^3
      r(x)  =     1.12 in
      y(bar)=     0.83 in     (from outside of flange)
      I(y)  =     4.25 in^4
      S(y)  =     1.61 in^3
      r(y)  =     1.20 in

ST4WF20 is a 4" (nominal) deep Tee @ 20#/ft

      A     =     5.88 in^2
      d     =     4.13 in
      b(f)  =     8.07 in
      t(f)  =     0.588 in
      t(s)  =     0.365 in
      I(x)  =     5.80 in^4
      S(x)  =     1.71 in^3
      r(x)  =     0.99 in
      y(bar)=     0.74 in
      I(y)  =     24.5 in^4
      S(y)  =     6.05 in^3
      r(y)  =     2.04 in

These are cut from W-beams twice as deep and twice the weight.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Kipp Martin wrote:

>>I am working on a project at the Dalles Dam between Washington and Oregon.
The
drawings that I am looking at are dated 1955.  One detail calls out a steel
section at eithe "ST4WF10" or "STAWF20".  I assume that this is a T cut from a
Wide Flange.  I don't see any 20" wide flanges in any of my manuals or
catalogs.
Also, assuming that the detail is drawn to scale, the section does not appear
be 10" deep.  It might be 4".  Could that be what the 4 in the designation
means?  Could this be a 4" deep T cut from a 20" wide flange?  Can any one
give
me the dimensions on this section, i.e. flange width and thickness, web depth
and thickness, etc.?

Thank you,

Kipp A. Martin, S. E.
Portland, Oregon<<