Re: UBC Section 1612.2.1, Exception 2

Ghosh wrote an article that included this topic that was published in the May-June 1998 issue of Building Standards Magazine.  Note that the 1.1 factor has been deleted in the 2000 IBC.

Jason Emoto

>>> "Bill Allen, S.E." <Bill(--nospam--at)jrma.com> 03/28/01 11:36AM >>>
I have some hand written notes in my seminar book when I attended the ICBO
Seminar on the 1997 UBC Earthquake Regulations. I believe the presenter was
S.K. Ghosh and I believe he said that this exception, which requires
multiplying the load factors by 1.1, should be deleted and is not
appropriate.

My questions:

1. Does anyone else have similar notes?

2. Has anything been published publicly (such as a SEAOC position paper)
which states this?

3. (a big one), what about masonry?

TIA,

Bill Allen, S.E.