RE: Firewalls

Hello Mike,

The problem is if the wall is a bearing wall not a shear wall.  If the wall
is a shearwall you can connect it to the roof diaphragm and if one side of
the building burns down the other side is still standing.  If the wall is a
bearing wall supporting  the roof on both sides of the wall then there is a
dilemna.

Another thought: typically building frame systems have lower response
modification factors and lower seismic loads than bearing wall systems. If
you support the roof framing on a complete space frame and not the shear
walls then you can get away with lower seismic loads [there can't be a
bearing wall system in either direction].

Respectfully,

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://www.muni.org/building,