RE: FW PE Vs.txt

Hi Dennis

You wrote " As long as there are provisions for the prescriptive
construction"

As you know very rarely a building will fit the prescriptive requirement of
the conventional framing  construction. Now the code identifies cantilever
etc. as being the reason to declare the building as non conventional framing
hence requiring an engineer to design it.

All of our tracts homes are engineered. All our developers hire engineers
for all tract housing .

No one builds a square box with shear walls at 25  feet o.c. any more. So
almost all buildings are engineered buildings.

The problem is that if we ask engineering questions as part of the plan
check the contractor complaints that he/she build the same building in some
other city and no one asked this question or required this structural
engineering item to be complied with. So as you said if vast number of
cities do not check plans for seismic design in a proper manor the first
city that tries to do that will be subject to resentment by the applicant.

On the second issue it seems that the areas that had a seismic occurrence in
the past usually have a fully cooperating administration. Engineers that
work in areas affected with Northridge or other earthquake have told me that
their council or board of supervisors fully supported them. This is because
the administration had a first hand knowledge of how destructive the
earthquake can be as it happened to their constituents.

I assume the city of Seattle or cities in India or Turkey or Greece will
support all efforts to enhance the quality of structural engineering without
any argument now that the possibility of serious seismic  damage has been
brought into their attention.