Re: RE: Welding on bolts

Damaging the threads is a standard practice.  What about Lock washers,  I've received some complaints that when iron workers torque bolts they aren't sure if they are torquing up agianst the steel or the lock washer  - any comments

I would not recommend welding on bolts either, but if you weld below the nut and damage the heat propeties of the bolt below the nut, does this really matter for the connection.  The forces are transferred higher up the bolt.  Or does the heat transfer extend throught the entire bolt.

>>> "Sprague, Harold O." <SpragueHO(--nospam--at)bv.com> 03/30/01 09:26AM >>>
Mechanical deformation of threads is very low tech.
1.	Tighten the bolt to whatever is required
2.	Place a the pointed end of a bull pin (AKA drift pin depending on
regional iron worker vernacular) at the junction between the bolt threads
and the nut
3.	Strike the bull pin with a 3 or 4 pound hammer as many times as
required to crimp the thread flights.  It usually takes only one whack.

Different iron workers have varying techniques, but the result is the same.
The thread flights of the nut are mechanically crimped and locked to the
thread flights of the bolt.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague
former iron worker,
inventor of bolt mechanical thread deformation,
inventor of the back gouge access hole (as opposed to weld access hole),
inventor of the wheel,
inventor of "prior art",
etc.  (send royalties... grin)