Re: Wood Shear Walls

The 97 UBC and 2000 IBC each provide a brief discussion of shear walls
with openings and means to transfer the loads around these openings.
These are both rudimentary but may give you the flexibility you need.
NEHRP Proposal 7-17 and the IBC 2000 has a small design method for
perforated shear walls which may also be applicable.  You will need to
check with your building department to see if these alternates will be
acceptable.

--
Forrest T. Braun, P.E.