Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: FW PE Vs.txt

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Thank you, I'll follow your link.
Dennis

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Armijo, John J (PWCSD 184) [mailto:ArmijoJJ(--nospam--at)PWCSD.NAVY.MIL]
> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 7:53 AM
> To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
> Subject: RE: FW PE Vs.txt
>
>
> Dennis,
>
> The program(seiswave.exe)which can be downloaded at:
>
> http://www.geol.binghamton.edu/faculty/jones/jones.html#Seismic-Eruptions
>
> may be able to answer your question of time and magnitude of
> earthquakes in
> the Palm Springs area since the 60s. I was made aware of the
> software during
> a field trip to the SDSU Geology Department recently. It is quite an
> interesting display. It is an historical account of earthquakes
> and volcanos
> on the planet set to musical tones and circular symbols of varying sizes
> dependng on earthquake magnitudes. The software program is part of the
> National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution in
> Washington, DC. There are a few maps of California in the program which
> might include a close up view of Palm Springs. Sorry I am not
> that familiar
> with the program to give any more information. I do know that in the right
> hands much information can be inferred.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Structuralist [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net]
> Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 5:43 PM
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
> Subject: RE: FW PE Vs.txt
>
>
> My friend, I think you have been lucky and I wish our building officials
> cared as much or were able to convince the City Council when the issues
> arise of the importance of protecting homeowners as it appears you have in
> Palmdale. For this I admire your city tremendously.
> One of the problems is that the Palm Springs area - which is one of the
> largest growth areas in Riverside County has become complacent
> because they
> have not "personally" experienced at moderate or large earthquake for many
> years. Landers was too far from the low desert to raise the
> concerns that it
> did in the high desert. The earthquakes in Imperial County in the
> early 80's
> also were too far from this area to raise any concern.
> I was told today by a contractor who remembered an earthquake occurring in
> the North Palm Springs area either in the late 70's or early 80's but I
> don't think I recall any event of significant size that would
> have woken up
> the community.
> Until the late 80's almost everything was constructed by prescriptive
> methods and the same builders are developing. Most are arguing
> the codes and
> the cost as they do not feel that it is justified.
> My point is that they simply have not had a wake up call and can not learn
> until they do. While prescriptive methods have performed well enough to
> protect against lives (although there is some question in CUREe's
> opinion as
> to how they will perform in a major event) they do not financially protect
> that portion of society who will be hardest hit and who can least
> afford to
> repair the damage. This happens to make up the majority of the homes in my
> area and this is disturbing.
> In the mean time, you keep up the good work in Palmdale and make sure that
> the politicians remember that the goal is the spend as little as
> possible to
> obtain the most protection and performance so as to mitigate those damages
> which are reasonable to prevent. I think this is the goal of
> full-compliance. However, because of the present trend, we need to invest
> more of the structural communities political strength in trying to change
> the construction industry rather than simply making stricter
> codes. The gap
> between conventional and full-compliance needs to be reduced as does the
> incentive that drives many of the developers.
>
> Sorry, but you hit a spot I am most passionate about and have tried very
> hard to change. I've been frustrated as I feel completely ineffective in
> this area of simply trying to require certification of those who lift a
> hammer to construct a structural system - i.e.., the framers. I
> care little
> about other trades (except possibly concrete subs) in wood frame
> construction except that they do not violate my shear elements.
>
> Regards and off the soapbox I will go!
>
> Dennis
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Sid Danandeh [mailto:sdanandeh(--nospam--at)cityofpalmdale.org]
> > Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 4:52 PM
> > To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
> > Subject: RE: FW PE Vs.txt
> >
> >
> > Dennis
> > I guess I have been lucky because basically the only time that
> > conventional
> > framing is used here is when an addition of a square box of not
> > more than 10
> > feet  is proposed. We require additions of more than 10 feet to be
> > engineered by policy. Our homes on the  custom lots and single
> > lots have all
> > been engineered also.Of course this is good because the San Andreas runs
> > through Palmdale. But I see your point that some one might use
> the code to
> > get out of engineering it.
>
>
>