RE: effective length factor for sway moment frames? K for frame s wit h partially restrained connections?

It is a capacity - limit state issue, not an analysis issue.  The code used
to say if you limit drift and use a P-Delta then you could use K=1.
Theoretically for a column fixed at the top and the bottom and allowed to
sway the buckled shape would have K=1.

If the beams allow the ends of the columns to rotate then the buckled shape
would have K>1. There are approximation formulas for K so that you would not
have to use a AISC alignment chart:
K=sqrt[(1.6*Ga*Gb+4*(Ga+Gb)+7.5)/(Ga+Gb+7.5)] <==== from Tamboli "steel
design handbook" for unbraced frames.  If K>1 then the columns are going to
have a lower strength / capacity and larger columns are required.  Sounds
like a conspiracy.

My point was mainly that the code used to allow K=1 and now the code does
not appear to mention it, so for Anchorage at least get your alignment
charts out.

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://www.muni.org/building,