Re: Parking deck

Just a quick comment:

Generator of 5200 lbs/100 psf = 52 sf of some sort of load distribution.  An 4 ft. x 15 ft. timber mat or a little larger will give this to you.  The mat then can be placed on wood rollers and the whole thing slowly and controlled rolled down the ramp.  Check the timber mat weight.  You should be able to rent these.

You might also consider Hillman rollers.  These are steerable, where with the wood rollers there may be some directional problems.

Neil Moore, S.E.

Dear colleagues,

I would love your suggestions as to how one can transport a 14000 lb. mechanical equipment down a parking deck ramp that was design with 100 psf live load. The contractor is willing to break apart the equipment into smaller components but still the heaviest component, generator, weights 5200 lb.

The parking deck is cast-in place post-tensioned slab that spans 16 feet (in direction of ramp) to transverse post-tensioned girders.

One scenario I considered is to carry the generator on 2 wide flange beams 20 feet long with three fork lifts, making triangular shape in plan view. Triangular shape is needed for stability going around corners and spread the loads. The smallest fork-lift considered for the project weights 6000 lb. with foot print of 5 feet square. It's the fork lifts that is too heavy but the contractor doesn't know how else to maneuver the equipment.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Brad Smith, SE