RE: Wood Shear Walls

The IBC requires each end of each full height piece to be restrained even
when using a perforated methodology.  The last draft of the 2000 NEHRP I saw
has the following provisions:

for full height segment bottom plate - top plate shear connection:

vdesign=V/[Co*sum(Li)]

for full height segment bottom plate uplift connection:

tdesign=V/[Co*sum(Li)]

for shearwall chord tension at the extreme ends of the wall

Tdesign=vdesign*H

for wall nailing:

vtable*Co < V/sum(Li)

The NEHRP also limits the wall shear strength to 640 plf, says to design
collectors, limits wall height, requires anchors to have direct load path to
foundation and does not mention using gravity loads to resist
overturning-uplift.

Scott M Haan  P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division http://www.muni.org/building,