From: Brad Smith
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2001 3:28 PM
Subject: Parking deck

Dear colleagues,

I would love your suggestions as to how one can transport a 14000 lb. mechanical equipment down a parking deck ramp that was design with 100 psf live load. The contractor is willing to break apart the equipment into smaller components but still the heaviest component, generator, weights 5200 lb.

The parking deck is cast-in place post-tensioned slab that spans 16 feet (in direction of ramp) to transverse post-tensioned girders.

One scenario I considered is to carry the generator on 2 wide flange beams 20 feet long with three fork lifts, making triangular shape in plan view. Triangular shape is needed for stability going around corners and spread the loads. The smallest fork-lift considered for the project weights 6000 lb. with foot print of 5 feet square. It's the fork lifts that is too heavy but the contractor doesn't know how else to maneuver the equipment.

I would appreciate any of your thoughts.

Brad Smith, SE