RE: FW PE Vs.txt

John,
I visited this website to view Prof. Alan Jones webpage and available
software. It is a fascinating site and I added a new forum to the
Structuralist.net Software Productivity Tools as a result of this. The
program SeisVole begins with a topographic map of any area you choose and
can be customized by creating city maps based on longitude and latitude
locations available in an online database.
The database contains records of all earthquakes and volcanic eruptions
starting in 1960 and is continually being updated. Updates can be obtained
via online internet connection by choosing the update function. Databases
appear to be update every month or more often as new events take place.
The program tracks the depth and magnitude of all events. The only
difficulty is identifying the specific event. I have not been able to figure
out (if possible) how to highlight an event and retrieve specific data. Also
it is difficult to pick out specific cities as the maps only name major
metropolitan areas while events can be scattered all over.

The software also includes a Smithsonian Museum demonstration that clearly
shows the location of all major earthquakes and in the process defines the
pacific Ring of Fire. It is easy for students to see the perimeter of
tectonic plates to demonstrate how the pressure builds as plates slide over
one another.

This is a very nice tool that does a wonderful job.

There is another software on the site which will demonstrate the wave
pattern around the globe and deep into the core of the earth from primary
and secondary wave patters occurring during major earthquakes. The purpose
is to demonstrate how the energy from a seismic event is dissipated through
the earth - into the core and back outward.

This is a wonderful educational tools.

Thank you for the recommendation, I really enjoy playing with this great
program.

Those of you interested can download the programs and Readme files directly
from the authors website located at
http://www.geol.binghamton.edu/faculty/jones/jones.html#Seismic-Eruptions or
from the Seismology and Geotechnical Software Forum (links to Prof. Jones
website) on the Structuralist.Net Professional Discussion Forum / Software
Productivity Tools.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
The Structuralist Administrator for:
http://www.structuralist.net
AEC-Residential Listservice
admin(--nospam--at)structuralist.net
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393

discussion forums at"

http://www.structuralist.net/cgi-local/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Regi
ster

Please make sure that when you copy this link that you copy the entire link
beginning at http: and ending with Register. There should be no spaces
between any of the letters or characters.

subscription (always free). To subscribe please use the AutoList
subscription feature for the Polhemus.cc Listservices located at: