Re: Welding on pressure vessels

Patrick ---

Before you mess with a LOX vessel, be aware that it must be an
ASME-certified pressure vessel under OSHA regulations.  The appropriate
code is not UBC or AISC, but ASME.  The welding you are contemplating
will require a) special welding license, b) a special ASME inspection,
and an engineer or manufacturer with an ASME R-stamp license.  That
entity then must issue a certification report, which remains in the
active vessel file retained by the owner/user.   Any less than that is
illegal.

  One suggested source of such expertise is General Physics Corporation,
with a west coast office in San Diego.  Jim Gill is the Director of
Operations for that office.  Call 760-233-9880, or try his cell phone at
619-520-9367.

An alternate approach which I have employed successfully is to utilize
the existing anchor leg, but span over it with an added plate or short
member.  The new anchor bolts are then installed through the new plate,
not the existing.  With some care, the original tank design is not
altered, but anchorage is assured.   If this can be done, it will be less
costly than the ASME code route.

Russ Nester
rnester(--nospam--at)juno.com