Re: Lifting Devices

Not enough!!!

An elevator, and operating equipment work in a predictable condition, and
the cables, etc., are not available for mistreatment by the well-meaning
but uninformed, or by someone in a hurry.

If you're lifting bales, rolls of paper, steel billets...  in an industrial
facility, your terminal rigging is going to be abused.  Cables, etc, will
wear and will fatigue.

BTW, 3 x 1 x  0.67 = 2

This equals the AISC Code, ASD, and it is what I use for "standing
rigging".  Again, I use 6 for "running rigging" -- the cables that handle
the non-standard load condition, the clevises, etc.  And...  any lifting
gear that I design, spreader beams, lifting lugs on items that are lifted,
you name it.

If you want to become a believer, go into any large industrial facility and
watch some big lifts -- paper rolls, lifting an entire truckload of logs
with a single lift, etc.  You will not stand underneath the lifted load.

Fortunately, most heavy-industrial clients are fairly sophisticated, and
recognize that it's unwise to cut corners on equipment that will shut a
facility down if it fails.

Forgive the excitement, but don't let anyone talk you into designing
something that will fail.

Fountain E. Conner, P.E.
Gulf Breeze, Fl. 32561
   Phone 850-932-5547