Re: disappointed engineer

I had similar experience in China.

Kingckong GU
From PRC
2001/4/2

Original

From: Tomás Matta Reply-To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org To: "seaint" Subject: disappointed engineer Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:19:07 -0500

I graduated from college here in Chile about six months ago, and I've been working ever since in a small office designing mostly reinforced concrete buildings, and to tell you the truth, I find the job to be very disappointing. The pay is definitely not as good as in other areas (like industrial engineering), and the job really gets to be boring sometimes. I mean, what difference will it make if you try to do a good job and try design economically for the client? Will he notice? I think certainly not. The thing is, at least here in Chile structural engineering really carries some status in college because it's considered to be one of the more difficult areas of engineering, and the smartest kids here in Chile prefer to study engineering rather that medicine or law, like in the States. Now I don't regret having studied structural engineering, I liked studying it, but working, now that's a different story. I don't want to spend the rest of my life taking orders from the big man in the project (architect), so I've already started to look for a job in another area. Does this happen to engineers in other countries?

just my 2 pesos worth,

Tomas Matta Ingeniero Civil, PUC Santiago, Chile