RE: disappointed engineer

I had the good fortune to study and work in other industries before deciding
to become a member of the structural engineering community. I was 36 years
old when I became licensed as a PE and now 15 years later, I still enjoy
(although must admit a certain lack of enthusiasm) this profession.
I had the opportunity to work in more financially lucrative areas, but money
was not the motivation for my decision to be an engineer. I was looking for
a niche I fit into that I could wake up each day and be satisfied to face
the challenges ahead of me. I do admit that I am not the personality to work
for someone else, so after paying my dues while gaining my education and
work experience I went into private practice as soon as I could. Yes, the
money is more often than not much less in a small practice, the stress
levels are equally high or higher - but self motivated, and the hours are
much longer. Still, it is my business, I make a decent living and enjoy my
work environment plus the "toys" (i.e., software, computers etc.) and the
challenges of creative architectural designs.
I'm not trying to minimize the facts that as a professional community, we
have done little to promote ourselves in the eyes of the public or to work
uniformly on increasing our value to society. I am only saying that if you
are in it for the money, there are better paying fields to study. If you
have it in your blood and are addicted to the challenges, you belong in this
or any other field you get that rush from.
At 50+ years old, it would be nice to have  more money, more luxury and even
more or more. However, when I finally do get time to reflect on where I am
at in my life, I am satisfied with what I have accomplished and don't place
as high a value on money I have earned.
For what it's worth, I suspect that I earn less than the majority of those
just starting out (net income) but don't regret a moment. Well, maybe one or
two when it comes time to buy new reference materials or interpret new code
changes.
Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com <mailto:structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com>
(208) 361-5447 E-Fax
ICQ #95561393