Re: effective length factor for sway moment frames? K for frames with partially restrained connections?

Dear Hann
The second order analysis takes into account the beam-column action (P-delta
action), or in other words the axial deformation and its interaction with
bending and transverse deformations. Effectively, it is a step forward in more
accurate elastic analysis of frames, in particular tall multistorey frames with
heavy column loads as opposed to the more conventional stiffness method of
analysis. The results of the analysis can be used when calculating the moment
magnification factor in ACI and AISC codes, but stability limit states should
still be treated as usual.
Regards
Mehdi M Khabbazan
PhD, CEng, FASCE